Imagine how much more you would get done if you acted like you were going on vacation tomorrow. In this episode, we focus on living productively: strategically listening to music while you work, getting started when working, the importance of a weekly review, and maintaining your calendar.
Subscribe with your favorite app:
- Zig Ziglar (audio only) — Pretend you won a trip to Acapulco
- Shure SM7b Microhone — Used by Michael Jackson, Joe Rogan, Ed Sheeran, and many others!
- Shure KSM32 — Mic used by This American Life, Serial, On Being, S-Town, and others: Ira Glass, Krista Tippet, Sarah Koenig
- NPR rolls of the low end of their mics — Current.org article explains NPR's signature sound
- Cloudlifter for SM7b — The SM7b needs extra gain. The Cloudlifter supplies this to the mic.
- Focus at Will — “Scientists have discovered that depending on your personality type, there is a specific type of “music” that when engineered just right, puts your brain into a “flow state” making you hyper-focused and exponentially more productive.”
- Muzak Stimulus Progression — The music was programmed in 15-minute blocks, gradually getting faster in tempo and louder and brassier in instrumentation, to encourage workers to speed up their pace.
- Start (book) — Jon Acuff
- Don't Get It Right, Get It Written — James Thurber
- Ira Glass on the Creative Process — YouTube link
- Edward Tufte – Microsoft Keynote — On the importance of “getting it right.”
- Writers should work hard so readers don't have to — From “Mastering Workplace Writing” by Harvey Lillywhite and Kevin Dungey
- War of Art – The Resistance — Steven Pressfield
- Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity: David Allen — Amazon Link
- Deep Work — (Amazon Link) Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World: Cal Newport
- Full Focus Planner – Michael Hyatt
- AT-A-GLANCE Appointment Book — Amazon link
- Fantastical Calendar App for Mac
Vacations can be a productivity tool
- Zig Ziglar talks about imagining you're leaving tomorrow and how that changes how we work (link below)
- Going away can help you get things done
- Imagine how much more you would get done if you acted like vacation was coming up?
Microphone for this episode
- Using the SM7b microphone for this episode
- Usually I use the KSM32
Listening to music while you work
- Research shows that music helps you be more productive
- Find that music that works best for you
- Use it as a “timer” to keep track of how long you're working
You don't have to get it right (at first)
- Just get going!
- Create something so you can revise and tweak
- Schedule a weekly review to be aware of everything on your plate
- Use a good calendar app and review it consistently